Friday, May 25, 2007

Riding with the Dead

So I have been trying to increase my hill intake since I have some big climbing rides coming up, like the Summit to Surf ride in July, which is a century that has 9,500+ feet of climbing (most notably, the climb up to the Timberline Lodge), and of course, Cycle Oregon. To date, my main way of getting some climbing in has been to do the Three Peaks ride on the way home a couple times a week, which is a great ride with some decent climbs, but I have been wanting to find a good way to get some climbing in on the way to work in the morning. Well for the first time as a way in to work, I tried going up the Riverview Cemetary, and I wish I had done it before. Not only is it a good, stiff bit of climbing, but it spits out onto Terwilliger, which has a bit more climbing and then a raucous, 30+ mph descent into downtown. I have done this route 3 times this week, and it's awesome. I even did it with my bag and it wasn't too bad (and I HATE climbing with a bag on). Anyway, a day with the Boneyard in the morning and up NW Westover in the evening adds up to close to 6000' of climbing, so it's good prep fo sho!

No comments: