Thursday, March 29, 2007

Marine Drive With Crafty

Date: Wednesday, March 28th, 2007
Leave: 4:30PM
Return: 7:15PM
Distance: 38 miles
Average speed: 14.6 mph

Justin and I decided to take advantage of the gorgeous day yesterday and take a nice easy run around "the horn"; out St. John's Bridge to Marine Drive and home via the I-205 bike path. My Achilles was still pretty tender from Monday's pathetic jaunt around the same course, but I was otherwise feeling pretty good, and it was such a nice day that it seemed silly to not get some miles in and soak in the sun a bit. I left work at around 4:30 and zipped over to Justin's office in the Pearl. I was wearing my trusty, yellow, ripped and filthy rain jacket, so I was a little warmed over when I arrived, which reminded me that the sleeves of this particular jacket are removable, and thus emerged Vest Guy. No sooner than Vest Guy emerging did I run into an old coworker, who I hadn't seen in years, who promptly remarked on how much of a dork Vest Guy is. Awesome. Justin was his usual 10 or so minutes late, so we said our goodbyes to the work day and headed out through NW Portland towards Hwy 30.

While I certainly enjoy the hell out of a good, long solo ride, I really enjoy riding with other people too. The company and conversation is always nice to have, and it is easier for me to regulate speed and effort more (for some reason) when I'm riding with other folks. We kept a nice, easy pace up and over the St. John's Bridge, but traffic was extremely heavy on Hwy 30 due to some trees getting drunk and trying to cross Hwy 26 in the middle of the day, so crossing 30 to the bridge ramp took a little time.

Once we got over the bridge onto Lombard, we made good time up to Marine Drive and were pleasantly surprised at the lack of a headwind all the way to I-205. Overall, it was a kick ass ride, I love that route for an after work ride, it's the perfect amount of length, time and effort.

No comments: